Alexander Kriegisch <alexan...@kriegisch.name> wrote:

> I think what Nils says applies internationally, not just in the NL. A
> copyright claim for any project which sports at least one easily
> discoverable licence file in its SCM and in each major artifact should
> be easy to defend against any licence violations. Legally, redundant
> copies are totally unnecessary.

My point was that even when there is no copyright notice anywhere, legally
means that nobody except the author is allowed to use the code. At least in The
Netherlands. Other countries may require an explicit copyright notice. Of
course having an explicit copyright notice may help when there is a copyright
dispute.

When there is no license, there can also be no license violation, but default
copyright rules apply when there is no license. You only need to license
something when you want to deviate from standard copyright rules.

Nils.