I like both of these approaches better than the Scala approach to binary
compatibility, which is to munge a version into the artifact ID. That feels
very broken to me, but unfortunately that is their standard now.

I have heard of complaints that using classifiers to specify bytecode level
can cause dependency resolution issues, but that sounds like a problem that
needs to be exposed and solved, not worked around.

The POM reference highlights using classifiers for bytecode versioning
explicitly: https://maven.apache.org/pom.html#dependencies
(I wish this page had an anchor for the classifier section).