Tamás Cservenák <csta...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Apache Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Apache
> Maven Wrapper, version 3.3.1
>
> The Maven Wrapper is an easy way to ensure a user of your Maven build has
> everything necessary to run your Maven build.
>
> See https://maven.apache.org/wrapper/ for instructions on how to use Maven
> Wrapper.
>
> You can download the appropriate sources etc. from the download page:
>
> https://maven.apache.org/wrapper/download.html
>
> Release Notes - Maven Wrapper - Version 3.3.1
>
> ** Improvement
>    * [MWRAPPER-132] - Inlined mvnw Downloader.java uses `new URL(String)`,
> which is deprecated in Java 21
>    * [MWRAPPER-134] - Provide a reliable way to determine the Maven
> Wrapper version

Thanks for this new feature, the new `wrapperVersion` property will make it
easier for update bots like Renovate to automatically suggest updating to a
newer version of Maven Wrapper. Work for Renovate is happening already via
https://github.com/renovatebot/renovate/discussions/28648.

I have one more question though: because the default type changes from `bin` to
`only-script` with Maven Wrapper 3.3.0, all of our projects also got changed
from `bin` to `only-script`, because Renovate’s upgrade command doesn’t
explicitly set `-Dtype=${type}`.

Is there a way to upgrade an existing Maven Wrapper installation to a newer
version of the same type without having to specify `-Dtype=${type}` to match
the current installation type? If not, would you consider also introducing a
`wrapperType` property in `.mvn/wrapper/maven-wrapper.properties`, so external
tools can determine the installation type to use for the update?

Thanks, Nils.