> 1)  Can I embed jelly in my build.properties files?

The answer to the question you were trying to ask is yes, but to this
specific one, no. Jelly is the XML scripting, JEXL is the expression
language used in Jelly. You can use an expression in build.properties,
but not embed Jelly - just in case you wanted to start doing
conditionals :)

eg,
somedir=${basedir}/src
otherdir=${maven.build.dir}/other

> 2)  Is there a goal that occurs before maven loads the properties
> file.  So I could write a <preGoal name="something">
> <j:if>...
> some.arbitrary.property=qaValue
> some.arbitrary.property=prodValue

No, but the first is nicer and works.