I think I figured out what the problem is. When I did what you suggest (checkout the tagged version of maven, add logging, build and test) it works fine. 2 seconds on windows xp. So, on a hunch, I looked in the .zip file for maven-1.0.2.zip. And guess what, the date/time stamp of all the files in there is for 12/7/2004 at 10:13 PM. Well, us "early adopters" were running 1.0.2 before 10:13 PM on 12/7/04! The code in PluginManager.unpackPlugin() compares the date/time of the plugin.jar file with the date/time of the plugin cache dir. And of course, every time, it found that the jar was newer because it had a future date/time stamp, causing a cache invalidation for every invocation.

So, for anyone who had this problem on 12/7, it will magically fix itself when their local time ticks past 10:13 PM. So, is the time wrong on the box that created the maven-1.0.2.zip file? Or, are zip files dumb enough to not contain a GMT offset? Who knows.

Anyway, I'd bet the problem goes away now. I re-unzipped the distribution zip file, and since it's 12/8/04 12:58AM my time now, it takes 2 seconds to run maven on my windows box.

Hope that helps,
--Leif

Brett Porter wrote:

Ok, this has got me stumped. I don't know what's different.

Let me outline where we are at:
- first run is always slower
- second run should not unpack any plugins or touch the cache
- the reason that blowing away the cache is faster than running with
it when the unpacking is happening is because it is actually manually
erasing each, then recaching instead of just the last step, so that's
fine.

We need to sort out what is triggering the unpacking.

Is anyone experiencing this problem comfortable with building from tag
MAVEN-1_0_2, then adding debug statements to PluginManager.java and
recompiling?
If not, I can do this and provide a debugging maven.jar to try out...

Can someone let me know (Chad?) when you are able to look at this, and
if possible jump onto irc.codehaus.org (you can get there by HTTP if
needed) so we can walk through it.

Thanks,
Brett