I've trying to find a nice solution for that issue since a long time
(sometimes I have up to 40 projects using the same artifacts!).
I come into the conclusion that any way of using version pointers in poms
(e.g. xml entities or jar overriding) is bad thing
as it might be against the repreductability of builds (unless modified poms
with "inlined" information are deployed to the repository, but this creates
other problems!!)
Only thing which can really solve that complexivity is a tool (GUI), which
will help to make a quick migration to the given version of the given
artifact for group of projects.
My colleagues from work have developed the maven plugin which helps to do
this migration - it is already quite useful for them, but not fully
operational and it requires
other our plugins therefore it will be useless for somebody else, but it is
not hard to write your own plugin with similar functionality...

pozdrawiam

Michal