I'm new to maven and didn't find this in the archive, but it seems that ${basedir} is not documented. It seems to be set to the directory of the project.xml file. Is this always the case? and are there reasons/techniques to change basedir?

I eventually tried adding to project.xml:

   <dependency>
     <groupId>error</groupId>
     <artifactId>${basedir}</artifactId>
     <version>no.match</version>
     <type>jar</type>
     <url>http://www.maven.org/</url>
   </dependency>

I wanted to force a download error that would help me figure out what ${basedir} was. (Less output to wade through than the "-X" option to maven.) Is there a better way to print out variables when running maven?

Thanks,
-Ken