The only reason I can think of is that you project directory structure does
not match the dashboard plugin defaults. By default it assumes the following
structure:

maven.dashboard.basedir=${basedir}
maven.dashboard.includes=*/project.xml
maven.dashboard.excludes=**/target/**/project.xml

(This is from where you start the master project, i.e. where you type 'maven
site').

By default, if you haven't modified the default dashboard properties, the
dashboard project will execute the reactor an automatically run the
dashboard:report-single goals on your subprojects. You don't need to run it
yourself.

Thanks
-Vincent