David your approach looks to be as simple as possible.
 The only problem is that Eclipse really doesn't allow
me to have my entire project under a root directory,
hence I'll probably take Arnaud's suggestion and
create a "root" project at the same level as the other
projects/modules.  With this arrangement your solution
will not work unaltered since if I run "maven
multiproject:install" from the root project directory
it doesn't know about any subprojects since they're
all on the same level as the root project, instead of
under it.  With this in mind is there still a way to
make your solution work ?  Everything I've tried so
far has bombed.  Maybe it's just as easy to use
Arnaud's suggested solution ?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help.

--James