Jared,

Didn't think you were being dismissive at all.

Our existing solution has a cluster of build machines that provide very nice failover, so the feature is "expected". Suggesting we look at a build system with a dozen boxes, with each one being a point of failure, wouldn't go over well. Given cascading build failure issues, the wrong box dying could take out (literally) hundreds of builds.

I would approach this the same way I approach a web server farm. Primary/Secondary. The odds of a build machine blowing up are pretty low. Just assign each build a secondary failover and if you can't ping the machine, send the job to the secondary machine. A more robust environment would run some sanity check on the box before assigning the build task.

Rick