> Will that factory need to be included in the Maven code or could it sit,
> say, in the groovy code itself and M2 be easily configured to use it? I
> believe it's a plexus component and it needs to be registered in plexus.

Yes, it could be in groovy, or a groovy library. There is already an
example in plexus-component-factories.

> Will m2 users be able to change the plexus configuration files?

In alpha-1, it must be in plexus.xml inside the maven-core JAR. Once a
correction is made to the plexus container, it can be defined in the
groovy JAR, and you'd simply need to drop it into maven2/lib (it may
even be possible to load it on demand - I'm not entirely sure).

> In other words, could it be maintained outside of Maven?

Absolutely.

There is another aspect to it - parsing the goal and parameter
definitions out of the script. Marmalade (XML) and Java (QDOX) both
define it inside the source file. We could have a generic external
descriptor includer so this would be optional - but it is handy to be
able to extract it from the source files.

Cheers,
Brett