You can have SNAPSHOT in your <version/>, we use it like that.

with <version>1-0-SNAPSHOT</version>:
jar:install -> puts myjar-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar in the local repository
jar:install-snapshot -> puts myjar-SNAPSHOT.jar in the local repository

with <version>1.0</version>:
jar:install -> puts myjar-1.0.jar in the local repository
jar:install-snapshot -> puts myjar-SNAPSHOT.jar in the local repository

If your project depends on a version that has SNAPSHOT in it (so
either 1.0-SNAPSHOT and SNAPSHOT work), it will be checked for every
build if it has not changed in the remote or local repository.

Remember that maven always uses the version in the local repository.
So if module B depends on 1.0-SNAPSHOT of module A, and you change
something to module A, then you need to call jar:install on module A.
Otherwise module B will not see the changes.

hth,

Wim