On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, M. Sean Gilligan wrote:

> > If it's ant 1.6 or higher only,
>
> Ant 1.6.1 added built-in support for Groovy, but the script tag exists
> in Ant 1.5.3 and should work with JavaScript and/or BeanShell directly.

Well, if it exists it should work. Try a basic build.xml using ant 1.5.3
and if that works those tags should work in maven.xml too..

> >you'd have to either use maven 1.1
>
> I'd like to wait for a (beta) release before attempting Maven 1.1.  Any
> hints as to when there might be a release?

A developer will have to answer this.. I've used it and found the
stability depending on the day you do a checkout.. So I understand you
wanting to wait ;)

> >or replace all ant-jar's in mavens lib/ directory with the 1.6 versions..
>
> I don't think you can just replace the ant jars in Maven's lib with 1.6
> versions -- have you done it?

I've done it, works perfectly. :)
I think this way you can get maven.xml to be run using ant 1.6.
However, when a plugin explicitly refers to ant 1.5.3, that plugin gets
run using that ant version, so you might also want to overwrite
the jars in the local repository with the 1.6 versions (renaming them
to 1.5). I know it's not the preferred way to go, but if you don't
want to wait for maven 1.1 and you HAVE to use ant 1.6 features in
maven.xml, this certainly works (at least for me - could be you
get a NoClassDefFoundError or NoSuchMethodException or something
when you use an obscure tag, but it's easy to revert..)

> I'm definitely willing to "settle"  for BeanShell (or JavaScript if
> someone can tell me how to make it work.

You might want to check out scripting support for Jelly. The scripting
language is pluggable (defaults to Jexl), so you might be able to find
a JavaScript language plugin for Jelly.

-- Kenney