Hi John,

I've been away for a while and see that a lot of activity has been going on in the meantime!
Since I am just an m2 newbee, I cannot oversee if the issues arround <plugins> and <pluginManagement> sections have been resolved now. So I filed the <pluginManagement> issue anyway (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-362). Please ignore it if it has already been fixed now.

I will try to build the latest from SVN and perform some tests with my own
projects.

Thanks for all the good work.
Peter van de Hoef

John Casey wrote:

I'm looking at:

- - org.apache.maven.project.inheritance.DefaultModelInheritanceAssembler
- - org.apache.maven.project.injection.DefaultModelDefaultsInjector

and here's what I see:

- - Combination of inherited <pluginManagement/> sections (both parent and
child have <pluginManagement/> stuff defined):

Everything is merged, with locally specified elements overriding
ancestor-specified elements in the event of a tie.

NOTE: There was a problem with the <configuration/> of a plugin not
being merged. I'm fixing this as we speak, although it's not going to be
in alpha-1 obviously... :)

- - Combination of local POM's <plugins/> with [inherited]
<pluginManagement/> section:

HOW IT WORKS: <configuration/> elements (both on <goal/> and on
<plugin/>) are combined, with ties going to the local configuration (if
the elements collide, the local specification wins). The list of goals
is accumulated, with the previous note applying to collisions of goals.
That is, if the <pluginManagement/> section specifies some goals and
their configuration for a given plugin, and the <plugin/> section
specifies some goals, the goal definitions from the <pluginManagement/>
section are merged into the one from the plugin specification itself.

NOTE-TO-SELF: Now that I look at this, it might not be a Good Thing(tm).
For instance, how would I suppress a goal that was declared in
<pluginManagement/> but allow other goals from that plugin to run? How
would I suppress plugin configuration declared similarly?

HOW I'M FIXING IT TO WORK: Any <configuration/> or <goals/> element
specified within a plugin in a local POM will negate the usage of the
corresponding element in the <pluginManagement/> section for that
plugin. This allows users to specify local overrides without having to
deal with the accumulation of common settings which are wrong for the
local case but which are not overridden in the local POM. It also makes
the override mechanism more consistent with <dependencyManagement/>.

These changes will not be available to -alpha-1, obviously, but should
work on the svn-trunk in a few minutes.

Hope this clears things up somewhat. :)

Cheers,

- -john

J. Matthew Pryor wrote:

From the docs here
http://maven.apache.org/maven2/project-descriptor.html#Build about the
<pluginManagement/> element

Any local configuration for a given plugin will override the plugin's entire
definition here.

So what constitutes 'local configuration'. If I am to reference the plugin,
enough to invoke the configuration supplied in a parent <pluginManagement/>,
how do I do that without overriding the plugin's entire definition?

Also am I understanding correctly that <build><plugins/> setting are never
inherited?

BTW I am making good progress writing all this up for the user docs.
Definitely need this clarification

jmp