Actually, db.apache.org was done with an older version of Maven. You
can get that look and feel, using the <div/> approach, using
maven.xdoc.theme=classic.

Note that the table style is definitely not a good way to be doing
layout, and the web is moving much more towards (albeit slowly) CSS
driven layout.

You can customise with a whole new site.jsl as recommended, but also
by just supplying an alternate stylesheet (preferred). The stylesheet
could easily set the left nav to extend to 100% of the content.

- Brett