I do not think it is an inconvenience. IBM is dropping all support for WAS 4 in very short order (I believe it is the end of April, which means yesterday). Java itself is supporting 1.5 as the current production JDK. I think Maven has keep moving forward with the times. Unlike many OSS initiatives, I am surprised that Maven has supported "unsupported" configurations as long as it has.

jeff

Brett Porter wrote:

I knew Websphere would come up :)

I understand how inconvenient it is - it took enough time with 20
developers. But how do you manage even upgrading Maven for all those
developers? Do they share any development servers or is it local? Will
the situation be the same in 6 months?

What I'm trying to gauge here is level of inconvenience vs flat out
impossible. If it were a brand new installation, would it still be
such a problem?

There are parts of Maven that use NIO, the new Exception paradigm and
things like LinkedHashMap that are what require the new JVM which
would be quite difficult to shift back to 1.3.

Thanks for your feedback.

- Brett