Adrian,

Sorry, I was a bit too quick with my response. In fact what I do is I have a
master project.xml that I place in the folder where I've installed Maven.
All my applications extend this POM in the following way:

<extend>${maven.home}/project.xml</extend>

Application modules will further extend the application POM like this:

<extend>${application.home}/project.xml</extend>

Within project.properties you set the correct path (which is used by
multiproject)

application.home=../../.. [or whatever path that's fit for your module]

Now when you want to build a module in isolation, whithout having the
application pom checked out, you can refer dynamically replace the
application POM with the master pom:

maven jar:install -Dapplication.home='${maven.home}'

Does this make sense?