At 4:57 PM -0400 5/17/05, Helck, Christopher wrote:
I am trying to set up maven to build a struts web application. The
programmer who developed it used the jar files included in the binary
release: things like common-beanutils.jar and jakarta-oro.jar. I would
prefer to use versioned jar files that I've grabbed from an official
repository. I took a look at the project.xml files used to build struts
and have been able to find most of the jar files. There are a few jar
files that are used multiple times in struts with different version
numbers. Since I don't really understand struts I don't know which to
use. There is also one jar file jakarta-oro.jar that I can not find in
any repository.

This process makes me nervous. It makes the programmer nervous because
I'm building with jars that he did not necessarly test with. What should
I do?

Well, you can tell Maven to use specific jars not necessarily from a repository, so you could just tell it to use the specific jars he developed against. Ultimately you have to weigh your preference for standard Maven form against your need for comfort that the build is using the dependencies which have had adequate QA performed. If you have time to do another round of QA after you formalize the dependencies, that would obviously be best.

Struts has recently shifted its build to use Maven, so you may find that the easiest way to get its dependencies is to copy from its project.xml. Here's for the recently released 1.2.7, but from here, you should be able to find your way to other recent releases:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/struts/core/tags/STRUTS_1_2_7/project.xml?root=Apache-SVN&view=markup

Don't forget that if you copy dependencies from this file, you'll probably want to add the "war.bundle=true" property to all of them.

Also, where is jakarta-oro.jar?

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/oro/jars/

Note that Struts' only run-time dependency on ORO is for the "mask" validator. If you don't use commons-validator based validation or if you don't use the "mask" validator, then you can do without ORO.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex