Very Interresting discution.

In fact I'm having same problem. I think they are multiple resources
file nature (like the dependancies) :
1/ Plugin resources (xdocs, checkstyle definition) : here they are
every thing ie ./checkstyle.xml, $HOME/.maven/..., /xdocs (I like the
m2 approach : xdocs under the src dir)
2/ Runtime resources : xdoclet velocity redefinition for example...
3/ Resource to include in the classpath : I use /src/resources/ojb,
/src/resources/spring... to categorise them by nature. I like this way
in M1 but I don't find how to do it in M2 (in fact I don't search)
4/ Resource to include in a specific dir : web resource like generate
struts-config.xml, deployment files, .bat or .sh script to start an
application...
5/ And of course tests resource that can be all the type before.

I really think there is a need of convention here. In my case I use
the /src/main/resources for the 1/ (not allways like for checkstyle),
2/, 3/,4/... I don't like it : the resources nature is too differant
but I am probably to strict with directory layout of a project ;-)

I'd like to have the other feelling about this...

Nicolas