OK so here is where I am at.

I now have the plugin working. Thanks.

Yes I thought I had built m2 from bootstrap, but
apparently not, so I downloaded alpha-2, that did the
trick.

BTW PluginDescriptorGenerator throws an NPE is a Mojo
doesn't have an @goal tag.

So now I generate my source code, but it doesn't get
compiled. Is there a 'special' place to generate Java
source into so it will get compiled? Or do I need to
do something else ?

I would prefer it if the plugin was able o cause the
generated code to get compiled rather than the using
project having to add something to its POM, but I'll
do whatever works for now.

To your previous question, I think having to explcitly
nominate:
project is too much, the plugin should be able to
fully  establish itself without the using project
having to know what goal to set up. Configuration of a
plugin is a different matter IMO, but one should be
able to use a plugin without any configuraton as a
starting point.

Thanks again for the help

Matthew