I have another reason for excluding dependencies from the classpath (m2).

I am currently using the concept to specify an external resource (for example a packaged CSS style library) as a dependency in my pom, and then using a plugin to process that resource - possibly extract it in my webapp. For that reason I need a way to tell that this dependency should *not* be included in any of the current scopes, as this dependency is not something for on the classpath.

This dependency is i.m.o. not part of the plugin; Rather I want the pom to specify/overrride which version of this resource must be used.

But may be you see a better solution for this use case...

Bart