From: Donszelmann, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:39 PM
To: Maven Users List; Brett Porter; Shane Isbell
Subject: RE: Problem of targetting two JDK versions

Hi

well, that answers my question, but developers using my library would have to
say exactly which version (read target) they would need...

I understand it is pretty late in the design phase, but would the following
scenario not make sense:

I have one library (for which I maintain 3 source codes, in three different
maven projects):

a. mylib-4.1-jdk-1.5.jar
b. mylib-4.1-jdk-1.4.jar
c. mylib-4.1-cdc-2.1.jar

which are published on the remote repository.

Anybody depending on this would just need to depend on:

mylib-4.1

and when compiling for one or the other target it will pick up the correct jar
file:

- jdk-1.5 as target, will need a. and can use templates.
- jdk-1.4 as target, will need b. and needs to deal with casting, etc...
- cdc-2.1 (I have no knowlegde of cdc, so the version number is bogus) as
target for CDC.

It is here where I think jar files are ABI (Application Binary Interface)
specific, and it would be a pity if Maven 2 would not automatically deal with
it.

Regards
Mark Donszelmann