Aidan,
 I guess you want something like this:
 Suppose the generated source code location is referred to with '${gen.dir}'

( 'target/xdoclet/ejbdoclet' in your case )
then you can make sure they get compiled at the same time as your
manually typed java files do, by defining the following preGoal:
  <preGoal name="java:compile">
<path id="generated.java.compile.src.set" location="${gen.dir}"/>
<maven:addPath id="maven.compile.src.set" refid="
generated.java.compile.src.set"/>
</preGoal>

please note that it is stated in the documentation that including sources in
such a way
is discouraged. As you mention correctly, it is unwise to copy the generated
source files
into the 'official' source directory (src/main/java).
 furthermore, as an eclipse fan I must add that by adding the property:
 'maven.eclipse.classpath.include=${gen.dir}'
to your project and subsequently executing 'maven eclipse'
the generated source file are also included in the classpath of your eclipse
project.
 a 'clean project' in eclipse could delete the generated sources
this can be prevented by adding the property: 'maven.gen.src=${gen.dir}'
   Dennis