Mick,
 Assuming that you already have XDoclet configured and working with Maven
then all you should need to do is to annotate your components (EJBs,
Servlets, etc.) with XDoclet tags and add the websphere subtasks to your
XDoclet tasks. For example, if you have annotated your EJBs with @ejb tags
and add the <websphere/> subtask to the <ejbdoclet/> task then Websphere
specific descriptors will be generated for your beans. Likewise, if you have
annotated your Servlets with the appropriate @web tags and add the
<webspherewebxml/> subtask to the <webdoclet/> task then Websphere
descriptors will be generated for your servlets.
 This is pretty high level but I hope it helps.
 Regards,
 Rod