Thanks Emmanuel,
  If I'm not mistaken, the spring-1.0.2.tld is not added to the war at
all... I'll check as soon as possible...
 I also notice that the maven-eclipse-plugin will add the dependency of type
'tld' to the classpath, resulting
in an incorrect build classpath in eclipse. (but I'll look into this first
in more detail)
 pertaining question #2:
 You mention the word 'workaround'. Does this mean you consider it a bug
that jar of scope 'provided'
are not available in 'test' scope ??
 (btw, thanks: the workaround will resolve the issue !!!)