Maven2
java 1.5x

I am trying to use the Assembly plugin to build an "uber" jar, or any other archive type, that contains all of my classes, resources and dependencies. Once I move the archive file to the deployment server I need to do some manual things including extracting everything and moving it into specific places. (refer to message subject: How to include dependencies when building/installing a .jar)

Someone mentioned using the Assembly plugin, which I did. However, I get the following error:

 bash-$> m2 -e clean:clean assembly:assembly package

+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building Maven Quick Start Archetype
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] maven-clean-plugin: checking for updates from central-plugins
[INFO] Retrieving release information for maven-clean-plugin
[INFO] maven-clean-plugin: resolved to version 2.0-alpha-3 from local repository
[INFO] [clean:clean]
[INFO] maven-assembly-plugin: checking for updates from central-plugins
[INFO] Retrieving release information for maven-assembly-plugin
[INFO] maven-assembly-plugin: resolved to version 2.0-alpha-2 from local repository
[INFO] [assembly:assembly]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Diagnosis: Error creating assembly
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] Cause:
org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error creating assembly
at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.execute(AssemblyMojo.java:117) at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:401) at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:169) at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:150) at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:133) at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:103)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.processProject(DefaultMaven.java:261)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:303)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:243)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:416)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:363)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: You must specify descriptor or descriptorId at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.doExecute(AssemblyMojo.java:142) at org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.AssemblyMojo.execute(AssemblyMojo.java:112)
        ... 16 more
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Total time: 5 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Jul 18 15:40:24 AKDT 2005
[INFO] Final Memory: 2M/126M

Any suggestions why I am getting this? It seems to be complaining about a missing "descriptor or descriptorId". I assume something is missing from my .pom, but where/what I am unsure....

TIA,
Eric

Eric Weiss
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]