I am building eclipse plugins, and with Eclipse 3.1 these are essentially
OSGI bundles

OSGI works from entries in the manifest, in particular Bundle-Classpath
attribute

I have a Mojo that reads the dependencies & updates the Bundle-Classpath of
the created artifact (a jar in this case).

What I then need to do is include all the dependent jars inside the main
artifact (exploded or not)

Obviously the assembly plugin suits my needs very well here, as it does all
the work, but it also adds its own Manifest.

I guess I saw an assembly simply as a 'superjar' but basically the same
artifact as the project is meant to produce, just one that includes
(transitively) all the dependent classes.

Does that make sense?

Matthew