>> Can you seperate out that EJB into its own EAR?
> We could do that. However, I think it would have a big impact on
> performance; we would need to use remote interfaces instead of local ones

I don't claim to be an EJB expert, but it is my understanding that Local
(vs Remote) is the distinction between intra and extra-VM (or AppServer
instance), not per deployment artifact. Thus, just splitting it out into
two separate EARs would not invalidate Local interfaces.

My proposed alternate would be the injection of custom deployment
descriptors immediately before bundling the EJB (or whatever) artifact,
so the ejb:deploy'ed artifact would be AS neutral and only when it is
"consumed" by an application would it be "branded" with the DD.

If you are discussing M1, then maven.xml and a preGoal could do this.

If you are using M2 then I'll defer to more experienced persons but from
what I know of M2, you'd write a PreBundleDDInjector plugin so everyone
will benefit from your experiences.

  My USD$0.02,
  -- /v\atthew