Some of them should be test dependencies.

The rest, which are "optional", become tricky to declare. If we leave
them out of the dom4j pom, then if you touch that code and don't use
the dep, you get a runtime error. We instead chose the current
approach of passing along all the deps, and having to exclude them in
your build. By making the problem be a compile time problem, you get a
lot more assistance rather than a sneaky error at runtime, and often
the extra dependencies are harmless.

- Brett