This is unfortunately a common issue.
Two cases I usually have:
- library is not created versioned
- I have to customize something and need to keep a local copy.

What I usually to in order is: try and find the version I'm using, and
add it to the JAR. Create a bogus version (can be any text). append the
project name to the existing version number if there is one, and I have
a local modification.

It's completely flexible so I don't think you need to worry to much...
best thing to do is create a private repository where you can dump all
this stuff, maybe use a version of 0.0.CHECKME or something to make it
easy to identify libs that will need later review.

- Brill Pappin