Note that my answers are what Maven 2 can do.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 05:23:25PM -0400, Rizwan Merchant wrote:

> I am working on implementing a build process for our project. This process
> is required to be run as a cron job.
> The build process is going to do a number of things, such as:
> 1. Back up build directory

This step shouldn't be required, I would suggest that you always start
with a clean directory.

> 2. Check out source code

Maven should be able to do this, yeah.

> 3. set up build environment

What steps do you want to perform here?

> 4. build the project
> 5. clean the database
> 6. build database

I assume you mean a database that's used as a part of tests? If so, do the
re-initialization in setUp() in your test cases. This will also make your
tests independent of Maven (or whatever you build with) enabling you to
run the tests from an IDE.

> 7. Perform regression tests

If you implement this through a set of JUnit tests Maven can perform them
for you.

> 8. Failure notification (emails to various groups/individuals)
> etc
> etc
>
> My questions are:
>
> Does maven2 provide functionality to manage and run this entire build
> process? I am not sure if I am clear or not, but would I need to write a
> batch file that will individually call each of the above tasks, or can I use
> maven2 to achieve this functionalitiy.
>
> Also, can all of the individual tasks mentioned above be performed using
> maven2? or do i need to achieve some of them using other means, such as ant
> ? (for example, i know I can achieve 2 and 4 using maven2..what about the
> others?)

Maven 2 + Continuum[1] can together do this. Maven 2 will do the build parts
and Continuum will do the cleaning, checking out and notifaction bits.

[1]: http://maven.apache.org/continuum/

--
Trygve