On 26.08.2005, at 15:39, Brett Porter wrote:
Nearer is nearer in the transitivity tree (if they have the same
depth, it is undefined).

Got it.

So declaring it in your own POM should fix this.

It does. My mistake, sorry.

In beta-1, you will hopefully be able to select from nearer and latest
(with latest now being the default, with the exception of a version
specified in the pom being built).

Note that at any point using a range of [1.5.3] will make 1.4.3 an
invalid choice and force that version. Versions without set notation
are treated as "suggestions" for which to select within the
intersection of all the valid sets.

I just read the design document on dependency mediation [1], and now I'm wondering where to specify the version range. A version tag like <version>[1.5.3]</version> doesn't seem to be interpreted as a range using maven 2.0-alpha-3 (maven goes looking for asm-[1.5.3].jar on the repository).

Thanks Brett,
-Ralph.

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and +Conflict+Resolution