It seems I didn't send my reply, so if it arrives twice, my apologies.

garg-ejb is declared as ejb packaging.

No modules declarations at all appear in the application xml. This is what it has:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<application xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"; xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/application_1_4.xsd"; version="1.4">
  <display-name>garg-ear</display-name>
<description>Garg Application EAR Package with EJBs and Jars</description>
</application>