I worked around by using <repositories> in my POM.

Now :
 * my settings.xml is empty of <mirrors> and <*repositories>
 * my POM contains :
~   <project>
~   ...
~     <repositories>
~       <repository>
~         <id>central</id>
~         <url>http://ricfiled.as.asd.asf/maven/repository</url>
~         <snapshotPolicy>always</snapshotPolicy>
~       </repository>
~     </repositories>
~   ...
~   </project>

I manage to access all artifacts, releases (plains) and snapshots.

Ralph, I don't know if it can help you, because your problem seems to be
happening at a later phase than mine (could be a network/proxy problem, but you
said it was working in alpha-3...) but give it a shot :)

Anyway, the fact that I can't access snapshots by mirroring central in
settings.xml sounds like a regression to me. Shall I file in JIRA ?

Yann