According to the docs, it sounds like what you're looking for is the
"provided" scope..

"provided  - this is much like compile, but indicates you expect the
JDK or a container to provide it. It is only available on the
compilation classpath, and is not transitive."
  - from http://maven.apache.org/maven2/dependency-mechanism.html

Saleem.

> I'm using m2 beta 1 version of the ANT tasks.
>
> I've specified the "servletapi" jar file as a "compile" dependency.
> However, when i create my war file (which i do with an ANT script),
> i don't want it included in the WEB-INF/lib directory.
>
> From what i can tell, when i can't use the <dependencies> element
> to use the servlet api in the compile, but not when building the war.
>
> I imagine that the "war" plugin suffers from the same issue. In addition,
> why is it that the "war" plugin still does not package up the application
> classes into a jar file? Why must it use a WEB-INF/classes directory?
>
> Is there some scope for the file I can use that won't include it in the
> runtime list?

Saleem Shafi
Partner
Pomatics Technology Partners LTD