Sorry, I wasn't clear...
Don't create a new branch for _each_ release (you are very correct that that
would be very tedious and completely silly!).  Create them only for significant
releases, e.g. "release 2.0", and merge into it at each release time - reuse it
for 2.0.1, and on.

Then you would only setup one time the significant release on the build machine
(the release build), and the CI monitors that codeline and automatically builds
when detecting the changes (merges).

Anyway, seems like you have a different solution in progress...