OK, I removed the <profiles> section, and it still doesn't work. Maven 2
still doesn't see my Tomcat-based repository - it completely ignores my
<repositories>. But I can access this URL with my browser.
Here's my current POM:

---
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <name>Acme</name>
    <groupId>acme</groupId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <artifactId>portal</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>

    <inceptionYear>2005</inceptionYear>
    <description>Acme Portal</description>
    <url>http://www.acme.com/</url>

    <modules>
        <module>...</module>
    </modules>

    <organization>
        <name>Acme</name>
        <url>http://www.acme.com/</url>
    </organization>

    <developers>
        <developer>
            <name>Fred Smithr</name>
            <id>fsmtih</id>
            <email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</email>
            <organization>Acme</organization>
        </developer>
    </developers>

    <repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>shared</id>
            <name>shared</name>
            <url>http://localhost:18080/repository</url>
          </repository>
    </repositories>

    <build>
    </build>
</project>
---

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed something? I'm using Maven 2 Beta 2 -
should I upgrade to soemthing else?
Thanks for your help.

Tom