Is there any way that when a dependency is configured, just that dependency
is downloaded and nothing else. It seems that with just a few dependencies
on a project, my lib folder in my war is growing way too big with jars that
I don't even need i.e. servlet-api-2.4.jar.  I read the transitive
dependency stuff on the m2 site, but I really don't follow it too well. My
project consists of mainly struts, spring and hibernate.

I tried the following:

<exclusions>
        <exclusion>
                <groupId>servlet</groupId>
                        <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
        </exclusion>
    </exclusions>

But it still copied the jar into the lib folder of the war. I am more
comfortable using maven 1, but I wanted to move over to m2, but I seem to be
spending way too much time trying to figure out this whole transitive
dependency stuff and less time configuring my project.

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Juan A.