fenallen wrote:

We need to use saxon for many ant:style goals during build so I have saxon in the ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/endorsed dir and it builds fine.

However, the checkstyle plugin fails with this error:

just a snipet from the full stack trace....

  at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
  at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)
Caused by: Unable to create a Checker: unable to parse file:C:/Documents and Settings/allen.fensome/.maven/cache/maven-c
heckstyle-plugin-2.5/plugin-resources/sun_checks.xml
at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.CheckStyleTask.createChecker(CheckStyleTask.java:319) at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.CheckStyleTask.execute(CheckStyleTask.java:259)
  at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.AntTag.doTag(AntTag.java:195)
  at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:247)
  ... 72 more
Caused by: com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.api.CheckstyleException: unable to parse file:C:/Documents and Settings/allen .fensome/.maven/cache/maven-checkstyle-plugin-2.5/plugin-resources/sun_checks.xml at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.ConfigurationLoader.loadConfiguration(ConfigurationLoader.java:257) at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.CheckStyleTask.createChecker(CheckStyleTask.java:291)
  ... 76 more
  ... 77 more
Root cause
Unable to create a Checker: unable to parse file:C:/Documents and Settings/allen.fensome/.maven/cache/maven-checkstyle-p
lugin-2.5/plugin-resources/sun_checks.xml
at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.CheckStyleTask.createChecker(CheckStyleTask.java:319) at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.CheckStyleTask.execute(CheckStyleTask.java:259)
  at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.AntTag.doTag(AntTag.java:195)
  at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:247)
  at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
        etc.....

Any suggestions? The ${maven.home}/lib/endorsed equivalent in maven 1.0.2 worked a treat with the same checkstyle plugin.

Hello,

From looking at the stack trace I can see only that the code could not parse the file sun_checks.xml. I hesitate to make the following statement, mostly because I understand that the checkstyle plugin normally works and my observation suggests that it should never work, but

file:C:/Documents and
Settings/allen.fensome/.maven/cache/maven-checkstyle-plugin-2.5/plugin-resources/sun_checks.xml

is not an appropriate specification of a file URL. I often see controversies about how many forward slash
characters ought to appear between "file:" and the file spec, e.g. "C:/Documents and
Settings/..." but it is my understanding that file:<file spec> should not work.

Perhaps someone who has more experience with the checkstyle plugin could reply,
yes?

Hope that this helps