2005/10/14, mika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi Brian,
> [snip]
>
> Now, I've found a solution which I *don't* consider to be
> "best-practice"-style at all, but it seems to work for me / us right at
> the moment:
>
> + parent
>    + pom.xml
> + module
>    + pom.xml
> + webapp
>    + pom.xml
>
> The modules in the parent are referenced like this:
> <modules>
>    <module>../module</module>
>    <module>../webapp</module>
> </modules>
>
> If I really understood right, for the recommended layout to work
> a) the top-most-pom could e.g. reside directly in my eclipse workspace
> folder and the subprojects would all be proper eclipse projects in the
> workspace
> - or -
> b) none of my projects are actually in the workspace (filesystem) but
> referenced from some other location on the fs - IMHO this would allow
> any level of nesting.
>
> Maybe I should give the b)-approach a try when I get some more time...

I *always* have my projects out of the Eclipse workspace, and I have
tried your b solution with no success: whenever you try to create a
project (even a "Simple" project) in a parent directory of an already
created project you get an error from Eclipse telling you that the new
project cannot be created as it would overlap with an existing
project. So as far as I know the recommended layout is incompatible
with Eclipse, at least with being able to edit the parent pom and
manage its versions.

Best regards
Jose