cheers Russell that worked.

It would be good if someone could revise the M2 Guides in
http://maven.apache.org/maven2/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html

So just to clarify, if in the POM.xml I add :-

 <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>my-repo1</id>
      <name>your custom repo</name>
      <url>http://jarsm2.dyndns.dk</url>
    </repository>
    <repository>
      <id>my-repo2</id>
      <name>your custom repo</name>
      <url>http://jarsm2.dyndns.dk</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

like in the
http://maven.apache.org/maven2/guides/mini/guide-multiple-repositories.html
guide

what does that achieve ? and when is that repository used, as this is
what I tried first.