Not sure whether this has been already addressed. Anyway, posting for your information. I was using the ibm jdk version (java-1.4.2-ibm-1.4.2.1) and trying to build the test project. It couldn't compile and fails with the error "Failed to build model from file '~/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-utils/1.0.4/plexus-utils-1.0.4.pom". I was clueless about this error. Then, changing the jdk version to sun's jdk 1.5 version did the trick for me. It's building sweet now. BTW, Is this already a known issue? The "System Requirements" in the maven home page doesn't exactly talk about the type of jdk (Sun, IBM etc).

-Sridhar.