I agree. They should be putting <optional>true</optional> on these poms. Also, most of the poms doesn't specify the downloadURL where it can be downloaded from. This again is a real pain in that you need to search for these jars which are not straight forward as it is expected to be. Also, in some cases, if the build fails for some dependencies, even the "mvn -e or -X" option does not tell you the parent jar(like Spring) which is dependent on these jars. Hopefully this can be fixed from jira/maven.

-Sridhar.

Stephen Duncan wrote:

Well, they ARE invalid, in that they should be putting
<optional>true</optional> on many of those dependencies.

-Stephen