John E. Conlon wrote:

> mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app -DartifactId=my-app3
> -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
> -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-site
>
> with fresh directories, projects, etc.
>
> Here is the error that I get:
>
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Trace
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Unable to
> determine the release version
>   org.apache.maven.archetypes:maven-archetype-site:RELEASE:jar

                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- If you look at the plugin docs [1], you'll see that m2 defaults to
version "RELEASE" for all archetypes.

- Now maven complains that it can't find this version, so your best bet
is to go and have a look on the repository itself [2] to see what
versions are available there for this particular archetype. You will see
there that only 1.0-alpha-2 is available.

Solution : add -DarchetypeVersion=1.0-alpha-2 to your commandline.

HTH
Jorg

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/create-mojo.html