Funny, I just noticed the same !!!
 If you can find it at
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/velocity/velocity/1.4-dev/
  I agree it's of course much nicer to be able to automatically download it
after a repo clean...
 as a side note:

It also seems that commons-logging-1.1-dev.jar is also missing...
(also available at maven2 repo)
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/commons-logging/commons-logging/1.1-dev/
 both jars are dependencies for various 'important' plugins (e.g. xdoclet
plugin)
Should I post a JIRA issue to request for an update of these plugins to
depend
on jars that are NOT development versions ??