I'm trying to do this and came upon this document:

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html

It looks like I can just copy the contents of ibiblio outright, or set up a maven proxy, in order to create my own repository structure. But what I'd really like to do is get my local repository in a place where I'm happy with it (everything is downloaded, my stuff builds, etc) and then make that a remote repository for all. The document above indicates "The local and remote repositories are structured the same way..." so it sounds like I could just literally copy my local repository as my remote repository.

I tried this. I copied my local repository to a web server, set up that server in settings.xml as a mirror for central, blew away my local repo, and tried to mvn compile. No dice, plugins could not be found, and as a side note, mvn -X doesn't actually tell me what URLs it's trying to download from, which would be helpful:

DEBUG] maven-resources-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the latest version org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:LATEST:pom [DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-resources-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the release version org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:RELEASE:pom [DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:pom:RELEASE [INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- [INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found

Looking at the directory structures, the main difference I can see between my repo and ibiblio's is that the metadata file has a different name (maven-metadata-central.xml vs maven-metadata.xml). So I tried just changing the name. This seems to "work" but maven now complains about the checksum failing (as there is none):

[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Error retrieving checksum file for org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-resources-plugin/maven-metadata.xml - IGNORING

I have a feeling there must be a better way to go about this than renaming all metadata files and ignoring checksum errors. Any suggestions?