In my opinion, what you can do is define somewhere in your internal
repository, a "light" version of hibernate. You just copy the hibernate jar
and pom in another location and then you remove the dependances you don't
want in the pom. This way, you keep the regular version of hibernate but you
can use your light version for any number of projects.