pluginManagement is used for define the default configurztion of a plugin.
Your sub-project can use it without redeclaring all conf if it's the same,
in sub-projects, your declare only groupId and artifactId of the plugin
and m2 will use the conf of parent defined in parent pom. It's the same
mechanism than dependencyManagement

Emmanuel