For plugins, installing in the local repository is sufficient.
However, changes to wagon-ssh would need to be included in the Maven
distribution - you can do this either by overwriting the version in
$M2_HOME/lib, or using an <extensions> section in the POM.

It'd be great if you have the time to try this as it is much easier
for you to test it, but thanks regardless!

Cheers,
Brett