Michael,

The same thing happened to me; what fixed it for me was adding junit as a dependency even though I had no tests (I would think that surefire would handle it if it doesn't have the dependency, but it seems to not be the case). Its strange; the error only seems to happen when some dependencies are in my pom.xml, but doesn't happen with other dependencies (for example it started occuring when I added commons-beanutils, but went away when I removed it), but with the junit dependency it never happens.

Chad

Michael McCrann wrote:
Brett,

I have rebuilt the maven-error-diagnostic.jar and installed it into
M2_HOME/lib. This is the output now:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
----
[INFO] Error executing surefire

tried to access method junit.framework.TestCase.<init>()V from class
org.codehaus.surefire.battery.assertion.BatteryAsse
rt
[INFO]
----
[INFO]